Thursday 17 March 2011

Sporting Life Magazine

After the march we headed off to the fair to wander around the stalls and grab a bite to eat then back to the hotel to have a lazy afternoon around the pool.

The Resort we stayed at was called Warm Sands Villas. The resort itself was awesome and I would highly recommend it. It was an island of sanity amongst a sea of debauchery and nudity. Although the resort was clothing optional I never found it seedy or inappropriate. In fact it was the total opposite. The Resort is located on Warm Sands Drive which is a notorious cruising strip. I had never quite seen anything like it. As soon as the clock struck 9.05 pm the street would fill with guys walking the street and cruising in their cars. Even with all this going on around me I never felt unsafe. The resort itself was very chilled out and very secure and the people were always warm and friendly.

The thing that caused me the most concern during my time in the U.S was the amount of unsafe sex that was going on. It was seriously disturbing. Even with all the education we have now about safe sex there was still a lot barebacking going on. The thing that I found most surprising was that it was not young people doing it but older men. Men who would have lost friends and partners to HIV during the 80's and 90's.

I did meet some great young people at the parties though and I enjoyed having a few quiet beers with a group of guys I met who were from San Diego. I do love those Cali boys!

I don't know about anyone else but I find a cute Californian boy incredibly sexy and after visiting the Hollister and Abercrombie and Fitch stores in L.A I think I may have to come back again just to go shopping.



After the madness of Pride weekend and the parties it was nice to head out of Palm Springs and back to West Hollywood.

The drive is beautiful and the colors of the countryside were wonderful as we sped towards Los Angeles. The best way to see any country is to walk or drive.

I am a huge fan of road trips and there is nothing quite like a long drive on open road with some good music and good friends. As much like Australia that the U.S is there are still some real differences and you won't experience these sitting in a tour bus. The best part of any trip are the stories of the people you meet along the way.

I didn't do any driving in the U.S because I am not confident on the roads there. Americans do after all drive on the wrong side of the road (wink). I did spend most of my time stamping on the imaginary brake. I even put the car in park and put the hand break on without even realizing it when my mate parked the car at the hotel. I was sitting in what would normally be the drivers seat for me so it just happened before I knew what I was doing. Combined with looking the wrong way when crossing the road a few times and almost getting run over it reminded me how much the little things become important when we travel. Simple things like making a phone call or crossing the street take on a new significance.


On the way to West Hollywood we decided to take a detour and drive along the coast starting at Laguna beach. It was a beautiful beach made more so by the Cali boys sunning themselves in the background and the amazing sunshine. I felt like I was walking in to an episode of the O.C.

While I was there I made sure that I went and stuck my feet in the ocean. I could help but stand there with my feet in the Pacific and stare out across the water and think of home 12,000 kms away. Whenever I travel I try to touch the places I go. Touching the sand on Laguna beach or the rocks of Chino Canyon makes them feel real. There is something about the significance of having actually physically touched a place that is important to me. It makes me feel connected to the world.

After checking in to the Ramada in West Hollywood we took a walk down Santa Monica Blvd and had some dinner. Even on a Monday night the street was alive and the bars were open. I really wanted to check out this "Gay Mecca". It is so different to the dirty rough pavements of Oxford St. I guess I was looking at it through glossy lenses but can't wait to get back there. There was the familiar thrum of a Gay strip but in Sydney on a Monday night everything is pretty much shut down. I have said many times that I have found people here very friendly and I have to admit that the Australian accent does open doors (among other things ;) ) but I found people here very easy to talk too. Sydney boys can be aloof and arrogant and the scene here is small so you don't need to work your magic as quickly because chances are you will meet again. The Cali boys I met were warm and friendly and although I know there are always exceptions I didn't meet any of them.

The shopping here was fantastic too. The Aussie dollar is worth about $1000.00 USD at the moment (ok I am exaggerating) but everything is so cheap.

After dinner I headed out for some drinks with a couple more Cali boys. OMG I love them hehe. We had a couple of beers at Fiesta and then went to the Abbey. Even on holidays I still meet Australians wherever I go. The security Guard at Fiesta noticed where I lived in Sydney and we ended up talking about home, beer and of course Cali boys.

The final day of the trip we headed of to Universal Studios. I have not been since I was little and it has changed a lot. I think as an adult I appreciated the place in a different way to when I was a child. it seemed that there was not as much to do this time round but some of the rides were simply amazing. If any of you get the chance to go the new King Kong Ride on the Studio tour is an absolute MUST as is the Simpsons ride and the Mummy Returns.

If you do go to Universal studios please expect to get wet. Spraying the audience with water, water vapor, mist, more water and water again seems to be the in thing to do along with finger printing for security and 3d effects.

So now I am home and sitting comfortably on my couch thinking about the last week. I never really considered the U.S as a destination that was high on my list. I was always far more interested in travelling to Europe, but this was my second trip the the United States this year and I have enjoyed every second of it.

My initial feeling was that L.A had very little soul but after spending more time there I have discovered that this is not true. West Hollywood is a place I will definitely return too when the opportunity arrives. I can see myself staying there comfortably for a few months and really experiencing the place.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my travels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment